At Shine Orthodontics, it’s safe to say we have a tradition of excellence in dentistry, especially considering the fact that the Scheer family has been making smiles shine since 1918. While Dr. Brandson Scheer values this history and tradition of excellence in dentistry and orthodontics, he also highly regards being on the cutting edge of technology. That means that he and his team are the experts to consult when it comes to selecting the best aesthetic braces for you or your child’s smile. At Shine Orthodontics, we have modern smile solutions to suit your lifestyle and needs, including treatments you won’t find at other practices like InBrace® lingual braces and the Carriere® Motion 3D™ appliance.
An integral aspect of that high-quality care we’re so proud to offer is educating and empowering our patients about the various options available when it comes to aesthetic braces, and aesthetic orthodontics, in general. Braces can be used to correct:
- Crowded teeth
- Gapped teeth
- Protruded teeth
- Retruded teeth
- Problems with the bite, including crossbite, open bite, underbite and overbite
Before we start exploring the different aesthetic braces options we offer, we’d like to underscore that at our beautiful new office, you’ll find state-of-the-art technology and custom treatment options to give you your best smile comfortably and conveniently.
If you’re concerned about the InBrace or Invisalign cost, at Shine Orthodontics, you and your family will get the best value with the highest quality of care for a fair price. One of the principles that Dr. Brandon Scheer is most intent on is ensuring that the orthodontic treatments he and his team offer are affordable and accessible for every patient. We accept most insurance, and offer flexible financing options with 0% interest.
It’s All Aces When it Comes to Braces: Exploring the Basics
The long-established metal braces many of us know so well have been around for a long time. Interestingly, they are still the most commonly used orthodontic treatment option to align teeth and correct bites. But, the science and technology behind getting that picture-perfect, shining smile has undergone considerable innovation and technical advancements, especially in the past few decades.
To put it simply, braces use brackets and wires to straighten teeth gradually. The brackets are attached to the front of the teeth (or the back, in the case of lingual braces), and they facilitate the arch wire which runs through each bracket. At Shine Orthodontics, we use memory wires that are adjusted and bent according to Dr. Scheer’s treatment plan. From there, braces begin straightening the teeth, moving them into proper alignment. Our Thornton braces patients can choose metal braces, or, for patients who wish for something more discreet, we also offer clear braces and behind-the-teeth braces.
More than a Brace Face: Exploring Complex Orthodontic Issues
It’s likely you are pretty familiar with the concept of braces. They’re essentially one of the hallmarks of teenagehood. In fact, according to the American Association of Orthodontists, a whopping 4.5 million Americans, primarily children and teenagers, wear braces on their teeth. However, we often find that patients aren’t entirely informed on the modern concept of braces, specifically, what they can actually do above simply straightening teeth, and the issues they can help treat. Luckily, that’s where Dr. Scheer and the Shine Orthodontics team come in.
Braces are an excellent way to treat almost every orthodontic issue, even very complex ones, including:
- Overbite: which refers to the amount of overlap between your upper and lower teeth. An excessive overbite can cause problems such as front teeth to wear and jaw pain.
- Overjet: also referred to as protruding teeth, an overjet is sometimes confused with an overbite, but it is slightly different. Overjet refers to the amount that upper front teeth stick out in front of the lower front teeth. Excessive overjet can make you self-conscious, increase the risk of trauma or fracture to the front teeth, and affect jaw joint (TMJ) function.
- Underbite: when the lower teeth are on the outside of the upper teeth. It’s a severe orthodontic problem and causes issues with eating, excessive wear on the front teeth, and jaw joint (TMJ) problems.
- Open Bite: when the upper and lower front teeth do not overlap or even meet. Open bites make it very difficult to eat, in addition to causing excessive wear on the back teeth.
- Crossbite: one or more of the upper teeth sit inside the lower teeth. In a child’s case, this will cause the jaws to grow asymmetrically, which can also cause pain and dysfunction in the jaw joint (TMJ).
- Crowding: when there isn’t enough room in the jaw to fit all of the teeth, crowding occurs. Crowded teeth may twist, overlap, or shift forward or back in an effort to squeeze in the allotted space. Crowding can increase the risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Spacing: gaps between the teeth are an aesthetic concern, but spacing can also negatively impact the gums’ health and can even lead to jawbone loss.
- Lip Posture: wherein the front teeth are not in proper relation with each other, which can change the appearance of people’s lips.
On that note, or in this case, bracket, let’s delve into the different kinds of aesthetic braces we offer at Shine Orthodontics. We offer three different types of aesthetic braces, which include: InBrace, Invisalign® and clear braces.
Straightening Your Teeth Without a Trace: InBrace
If you’re interested in the straightening power of braces but reticent about the idea of having visible brackets glued to the front of your teeth, InBrace may be the best option for you or your child. Essentially, these invisible braces are custom-made and bonded to the back of your teeth, on the tongue side, making them completely invisible.
InBrace are also known as hidden braces because they’re placed on the back surface of the teeth, facing the tongue. They work like traditional braces without the visibility of conventional metal braces. What’s more, InBrace braces allow for more efficient, comfortable treatment.
The Ins and Outs of InBraces
The process of creating your individually designed set of InBraces begins with Dr. Scheer taking digital impressions of your teeth. He and the team at Shine Orthodontics use these digital images to create a virtual, 3D model of your mouth. From there, for maximum precision, Dr. Scheer plans out your treatment directly on the computerized rendering of your smile. Afterwhich, he then sends his specifications to a lab, and custom InBrace braces are created just for you.
The benefits of InBrace include:
- They can’t be seen at all when you smile, even up close. As well, because the brackets are bonded to the back of the teeth, any discoloration that could develop won’t be visible when your braces are removed.
- If you or your child has a more complex issue that needs to be addressed, InBraces are often selected as an ideal treatment option because they are effective in more complicated treatment plans.
- Interestingly, hidden braces are actually more effective than clear aligners at correcting both tooth rotations and tooth height. They’re also better at closing gaps that are caused by extractions.
- They’re highly convenient because InBraces uses Smartwire™ technology. They have wires that possess a looping design which allows you to floss as you normally would. What’s more, they also self-adjust and don’t require tightening. While we work hard to make our appointments pleasant for our patients, an expedited appointment and treatment make the experience and treatment that much more convenient.
- Many of our patients have expressed that the overall treatment is more comfortable thanks to the digital treatment planning and the unique brackets and wires because hidden braces cause less friction and are more efficient than conventional braces. This means, InBraces are inherently more comfortable and may enable you to enjoy your new smile sooner.
Comfortable, Convenient and Discreet: When it Comes to Invisalign, You’re in for a Treat
There’s something exciting about modern orthodontics, and it’s that you can receive all the benefits of their treatment without anyone else but you knowing they’re there. That’s definitely the case when it comes to Invisalign, not to mention that Dr. Scheer is considered a highly skilled provider. A cool anecdote further underscoring the effectiveness of Invisalign at Shine Orthodontics: Dr. Scheer completed the Invisalign Advanced Orthodontic Masters Program, which is only available to a select few orthodontists!
For some compelling before and after shots of Invisalign, click here.
In order to bring out the best in his patients’ smiles, as well as effectively treat more complex orthodontic issues, Dr. Scheer taps into this expertise to design custom clear aligners. What’s more, Invisalign is known for making treatments faster and more effective than traditional metal braces, with some patients seeing results sooner.
This is Your Sign: It’s Time for Invisalign
If you’re self-conscious because you feel like your smile is definitely less than perfect, have no fear because Invisalign is here. Whether you or your child is suffering from crowded, crooked or spaced teeth, bite problems including overbite, open bite, underbite or crossbite, Invisalign can help.
While Invisalign is a very popular treatment in our office, the best way to know if it’s right for you is to book a complimentary consultation at Shine Orthodontics. Notwithstanding the myriad options available in terms of aesthetic braces, keep in mind how important it is to see an expert in Invisalign like Dr. Scheer, who can guide you or your child toward the most suited option for your orthodontic needs.
With Ceramic Braces, the Benefits are Clear
Even though the metal braces we use at Shine Orthodontics are smaller and more streamlined than ever before, we appreciate that not everyone wants their orthodontic treatment to be noticeable. That’s why ceramic or clear braces, as they’re often referred to, are one of our most popular types of braces for adults and older teens. Clear braces, or ceramic ones, work just like metal ones, but they’re much less noticeable. Read on to learn more or to find out if you’re a candidate for clear braces in Thornton, Colorado. Schedule a complimentary consultation at Shine Orthodontics today!
Crooked Teeth? Don’t Panic, Get Ceramic
Ceramic braces, also called clear braces, work similarly to metal braces in that they use a series of brackets and wires that straighten your or your child’s teeth. Each bracket is attached to a tooth, and a wire connects the aesthetic brackets. This wire then acts as a track that gently guides the teeth into proper alignment, ultimately creating a more beautiful smile.
Did you know that the ceramic material used in ceramic braces is rated 9/10 on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness, just under diamonds? Talk about a sparkling smile even before your orthodontic treatment is over!
So, as you likely assumed, clear braces eschew traditional metal brackets and wires for a transparent, ceramic material that blends in with your teeth. The ceramic material makes braces less noticeable, so much that even up close, they’re barely perceptible. We’ve noticed that for some especially self-conscious patients, this helps them smile more confidently throughout their treatment.
Book a Time; It’s Time to Shine
If you’re wondering whether you should get clear braces, Invisalign or InBrace, the best course of action is to speak with Dr. Scheer. No two patients are the same, and a personalized consultation will help you decide on the best choice.
No matter what your smile concern is or how complex your case is, we offer a wide array of state-of-the-art treatment options to help you get a beautiful smile and a healthy bite. Schedule a complimentary consultation with Dr. Scheer and his team at Shine Orthodontics, and for your added convenience, we also offer virtual consultations, too!